Wednesday, January 19, 2011

En route

I am currently on a plane somewhere above Lake Erie on my way to New York for a week and a half. I'm pumped to see family and friends, but I always hate leaving San Francisco, especially after the highlights reel-esque weekend we had.

I got in a few runs, saw a local band play at the Knockout, spent a hungover Saturday on the couch with Jay's cheesesteaks and football, and watched an epic sunset on Ocean Beach.
I completed the afore-posted epic bulk ingredient shopping trip, went to see True Grit (verdict: enjoyable, not stupendous), watched the Jets beat the Pats OH YES OH YES! and had what seemed to be a hugely successful Indian dinner party. I made:
  • channa masala
  • yellow daal
  • kidney bean curry
  • aloo gobi
  • curried lentils with sweet potatoes and chard
  • cabbage slaw
The naan was from Trader Joe's. Highly recommended. The company was good, the food was good (thank god), and the whole thing really hit the spot.

And then! Monday was a holiday, so Mike and I hit In-N-Out for grilled cheese (vegetarians, do it!) on our way to Novato for some epic disc golfing. The course is in a county park and is built into a hillside, so you're hiking as much as you're discing. It was beautiful and warm, but pretty damn frustrating for me - I'm still, you know, building my skills. But it made for a wonderful day. On the way back to the city we had beers and dinner at the Marin Brewing Company. In sum: In-N-Out, disc golfing in the sun, hitting a brewery. Perfect day. (Pictures to come.)

Today would count as less than perfect, since it required getting up at 5 a.m. I fortified myself with a breakfast burrito at the airport, slept for the first three hours of the flight, and am now trying to steel myself for freezing cold temperatures. I have become soft and weak, I will admit. But pizza and bagels and old friends await me!

1 comment:

dethbakin said...

It was soooooo goooooood! The Indian food, that is. Though I bet all those other things were good too.