Monday, April 6, 2009

And so it begins

I anticipate a future in which Wellesley chicks that I knew start popping up all over the place - newspapers, magazines, TV, etc, reminding of my own inadequacy. I like to think I am living a life of Purpose, even if Purpose = drinking beer and sitting in the sun and watching Netflixes. I do not want to be reminded that there is a better word for this, and it is Hedonism.

Well, the future is now. I submit to my fellow slacker Wellesley alums Example Numero Uno, a quote which Mike randomly sent to me (via the HuffPo) as evidence of the interesting phenomenon of Michelle Obama's popularity in France:

Her voice broke with emotion, and her aides said that she saw herself in the faces of the students. Afterward, she practically dove into the crowd, kneeling at the edge of the state to dole out hugs.

"People identify with her, even here, she is seen as a woman of the people," said Crystal Fleming, who is affiliated with the Institut d'Etudes Politiques in Paris. "The French magazine Le Point dubbed her 'the princess of the people,' which is pretty impressive when you think about it. She's an African American woman."

That's got to be C.M. Fleming '04, right? The end of our innocence is nigh, my chickadees.

4 comments:

dethbakin said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

kiira gustafson said...

ha. i would drink to that.

Vanessa said...

Sho 'nuff:

http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/soc/gs/Fleming_Crystal/

"Fleming is currently a Visiting Scholar at the Institut d’Etudes Politiques in Paris, France"

Michelle said...

I started my hedonism back while I was still in college so I have no f-ing clue who C. Fleming '04 is.

But it sounds like I wouldn't have like her anyway...