Friday, February 27, 2009

The Obameter

This website is handy, but unsatisfyingly named. Generally when you turn two words into one, you're aiming to make linguistic magic. Mike, for example, argues that Naomi Klein's "Shock Doctrine" should be the "Shocktrine", and I agree.

Obameter is awkward to say, particularly when you are accustomed to the pleasing second "a" in "Obama". Obamameter is better, I'd argue.

But the main point is, this is a neat tool to see how Obama is following through on his campaign pledges. If there's something similar out there that you think is better, I'd love to see it.

1 comment:

slb said...

I think Obameter is both easy and pleasing to say. I would argue that the pun is lost with the extra A, and not just to be contrary. Say it a few more times and see if you change your mind. It rhymes with Barometer!! (Barameter??)