Thursday, September 11, 2008

Only a little bit like a Julia Roberts movie.

As previously stated, Sunday night I took the red eye to New York. For my best friend's wedding. On a week's notice. From some stupid reason I wore heels, and so spent most of lunch assuring her extended family, who I have known since I was 9, that I have not actually had another growth spurt. 

The lunch was a really good mix of hey-we're-married! and Don't
 Worry it's Not Really Real Until the Big Party in April. It allowed me to have teary moments of both panic and joy, without one or the other making me into a total mess. Stef looked beautiful and happy. Here she is with her husband (!!!!):
I forgot my goddam camera, so I made do with my phone. Not ideal, but better than nothing, because I got some great moments, like when Nathan's dad read an unbelievably cheesy and sweet poem he had written. It was in rhyming couplets. I wish I could remember more of it, but it was along the lines of,

When you were a baby and looked up at me,
I wondered what you would grow up to be.
When you were a toddler and skinned your knee,
I wondered what you would grow up to be.

Etc, up to the present day. Ok I butchered it, but you get the idea - totally adorable. The reactions around the table were priceless.
Stef's dad gave a great speech too, and because it was 3 p.m. and I was 3 gin and tonics in, I thought that my official role as Oldest Friend should probably be acknowledged, but luckily no one paid attention to me and so I was not allowed to make an ass of myself.
As a side note, one of Stef's friends tried to convince me that all you need to do to be really skinny is eat cheese and meat. Are people really still doing that? Even if they do get skinny, don't they worry about how gross that is?

Still, when I met friends for tapas that night, I ate mostly meat and cheese. But that was mostly coincidental. Mostly.

No comments: